Monday, April 24, 2006

Meat on Street

This is a little travel tradition I like to call "Meat on the Street". This is an ongoing instalment of often disturbing images of questionably stored flesh intended for human consumption.
Pictured here are some sausages drying on a pole suspended between two chairs on a sidewalk outside a monastery in Luang Prabang (Lao PDR). This is one of the least graphic, as no recognizable parts of the animal are visible. These vsuages sat on this sidewalk for the duration of my stay (3 days) which seems odd, considering the number of resident dogs at this ,and all, monasteries in South East Asia. As a side point to consider, and most likely answering the burning question - why do monks need so many sausages?, monks only eat two meals a day (one at 6 am, and one at 11 am), and fast for the duration of the day. If you only ate two meals a day, and both could be considered reakfast, you would probably go through a lot of sausages too.
I have some real horror show images of a slaughter wagon in Mexico, and some good street butchering and market hanging pictures from all my travels in Latin America.
I will have to borrow my sisters scanner and unleash a torrent of street meat upon you good viewers.
It's noteworthy to mention that I have consumed a wide selection of meat products so exclusively from little vending carts in all places I've been, but the only food poisioning I can conclusively link to street food was a shredded carrot and cabbage toastado I bought in Quetzaltenengo (Xela) Guatemala. Kira was made seriously ill by a snack of Bolivian death Jello (green flavour) with a very attractive whipped topping. I warned her not to do it.
The principle at work here is that if the food is popular with the locals, it probably won't kill you. I've had much worse from restaurants, as who really knows what’s going on with the food behind the scenes. I had a bad run with East Indian food when in Lao, although at least one instance (out of three) was probably psychosomatic.
Strong local alcohol is also a proven prophylactic against tummy troubles, although the really cheap rum of Honduran origin should be avoided.
Again, I promise you more slaughter at a future date.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

ohboyohboyohboy!!!

2:00 p.m.  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

I suspect Tai is being sarcastic, but you just KNOW I want to see more meat wagon pics. :)

I have one from Morocco of goat heads lying all over a shop counter---mmmm...goat-head soup.

And I have a vivid memory of a delivery to a meat shop in Fes-a guy arrived with the fly-covered, heaped-up wheelbarrow of meat products and dumped it in the dirt street outside the shop's doorway. No Saran Wrap in sight I can tell you. :)

10:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was red jello... who would ever eat green street jello, that is just wrong.

11:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home